Stop #12 – Site of Amos’ Ferry


Munfordville Cellphone Tour Logo
      1. Stop 12 Audio

Steven, Hart County High School

Steven, Hart County High School

 

Marker Sign for Stop 12

 

Stop #12 - Site of Amos' Ferry

The Green River has played an important role in Munfordville’s history. After the Revolutionary War, many veterans claimed land along the Green River as payment for their military services.  Among them was Thomas Woodson, who donated the land for the formal establishment of a passenger ferry across the river in 1806, taking advantage of the ancient ford at the bottom of the bluff.  Although L & N built a railroad bridge across the Green River in Munfordville before the Civil War and the military erected pontoon bridges during the Civil War, the ferry continued to operate for more than a century.

It wasn’t until 1907, when  a toll bridge was erected across the Green River at Munfordville, that Amos’ Ferry passed into history. The site of Amos’ Ferry is now part of the Thelma Stovall Park, named in honor of Thelma Stovall, a Munfordville native who served as 47th Lieutenant Governor.  The park has picnic benches, an arboretum, and a boat launch as well as miles of hiking trails.

Oral Histories about
Amos’ Ferry

      2. Crossing the Green River
Told by Charlie Williams

      3. The Munfordville Bridge Company
Told by Charlie Williams

Charlie Williams

Charlie Williams

      4. Fishing and Swimming
Told by WH Bill Richardson

WH Bill Richardson

WH Bill Richardson