Stop #5 – Presbyterian Church Union Hospital
1. Stop 5 Audio
By best estimate, the Presbyterian Church was built about 1834 as a joint effort of the local Presbyterian congregation and the Munfordville Masonic Lodge. The first floor was used by the church and the second by the Masons.
The architecture of the church is a Gothic style with three distinct parts representing the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. The four front windows symbolize nature. You can see by the brick that the original windows had the same trim and shape as the doors. New windows were installed in the 1880’s. The use of seven, perfection, is seen in the openings in front and the details between the points. Ten side windows represent the Ten Commandments.
During the Civil War, the building was used as a field hospital by the Union garrison. The winter of 1861-1862 was unusually severe and thousands of troops fell victim to rheumatism, pneumonia, measles, mumps, and dysentery. In October of 1863, only one gun shot victim was admitted. The last medical personnel did not leave Munfordville until six months after the end of the war.
Oral Histories about
2. Sharing the BuildingTold by Mary Branstetter
3. Civil War Fashion Show in the ChurchTold by Tara Wilson
4. Most Authenic Civil War Gown 2012Told by Melanie Van Tassell
5. Re-enacting the Civil War Hospital UnitTold by Jason Shreck
6. Bone Saws and SuturesTold by Jason Shreck