Stop #6 – The Village School / Nurses Quarters
1. Stop 6 Audio
Constructed in 1833, this building originally had a poured clay floor and two separate chambers connected by a dog trot or breezeway. It served as the school for the village of Munfordville, with one room for boys and one room for girls. During the Civil War, it was used as the nurses’ quarters and also supplemented the Presbyterian Church, which served as a field hospital.
Among students who attended the school were the future Generals Bolivar and Wood who attended secondary school here before they were admitted to West Point. During the Civil War, the two men fought on opposing sides, Wood for the Union and Bolivar for the Confederacy.
In the 1900’s the building was converted into a home. Since 1902 it has been the office for country lawyers. It currently serves as a law office for Williams & Williams, Attorneys at Law.
Oral Histories about
2. The Village SchoolTold by Charlie Williams
3. Village School Serves as Nurses QuartersTold by Charlie Williams
4. The Front Door and PorchTold by Charlie Williams
5. Syphillis in the Civil WarTold by Charlie Williams
6. RemodelingTold by Charlie Williams
7. Hideaway for SlavesTold by Charlie Williams
8. Country Lawyers Since 1902Told by Charlie Williams