Stop #9 – Richard Munford House


Munfordville Cellphone Tour Logo
      1. Stop 9 Audio

Caleb, Hart County High School

Caleb, Hart County High School

 

Marker Sign for Stop 9

 

Next Cellphone Tour Stop

Stop #9 - Richard Munford House

Richard Jones Munford was the founder of Munfordville, coming to the area in 1802.  He owned 2,500 acres, on which there were a vineyard and an orchard.  He cleared part of the orchard to provide space for a courthouse and set aside 100 acres for a town he hoped would become county seat and a magnet for commerce.

The Richard Jones Munford House was built around 1830 on a stone foundation having two asymmetrical wings and  reportedly has a tunnel from its basement to an opening on the river bluff.  Some theorize that the tunnel was a link in the Underground Railroad, which allowed slaves to escape to the North before the Civil War.

During the Civil War, the house was occupied by Brigadier General R. W. Johnson and the other senior officers of the Union Army.  Johnson was sent to Munfordville to clear the area of Confederates before General Buell’s advance south.

Oral Histories about
the Richard Munford House

      2. Richard Munford's Land Grant
Told by Macy McDowell

      3. If There are Spirits
Told by Macy McDowell

Macy McDowell

Macy McDowell

      4. Cherokee Childhood
Told by Charlie Williams

Charlie Williams

Charlie Williams