Foodways of Munfordville
Wild foods are still an important part of Munfordville’s culture. Many families hunt or fish and like, Melinda Wilkerson, have favorite ways of preparing everything from fried catfish to deer sausage. Others take great pride in their cobblers, especially blackberry cobblers.
Barbecue restaurants are very popular today, but older residents still have fond memories of the milkshakes and sandwiches served by the community’s two competing drug stores in the 1950’s.
Oral Histories about Foodways
1. From Deer Sausage to Peach CobblerTold by Melinda Wilkerson
2. I Fish for CatfishTold by Melinda Wilkerson
3. Linda Melloan & Donna Logsdon Make Cobblers for FairTold by Linda Melloan & Donna Logsdon
4. Jumping a Rattlesnake for BerriesTold by Linda Melloan
5. Milkshakes and SandwichesTold by Charlie Williams